Pages

Deuteronomy 6:5 "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."

Friday, April 27, 2012

I Must Decrease

We hear all of the time that we are to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Jesus. However, when rubber meets the road we are unwilling to completely give ourselves away to Christ. We hold onto the securities that we have feel that we have in this world. We cling to friends, school, sin, family, and many other things and activities that we find comfort in. We are afraid to let go of these comforts and other things that we see as steady in our lives. The unfortunate thing in all of this is that these things are only temporary and many times hinder us from completely giving ourselves away.

Jesus says in Luke 14:26-27, 33 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his Father and Mother, Wife and Children, Brothers and Sisters, Yes, and His own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be my disciple. So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be my disciple."

Jesus is talking about the things that we hold dear to our hearts here. He is saying that the love that you have for any person or anything here on this earth should not even compare to the love that you have for Christ. You should love Christ so much that you you love for the thing on this earth grows less and less. Is it weird? Dang straight it is. The way that you spend your time, money, efforts, and energy will changes. The world will see yoy in a different light, but that's ok. We are called to be different, to walk a different path (Matthew 7:13-14). You see many times we believe that following Jesus is supposed to be easy, like a walk in the park. But it most definitely is not. It is a journey that is full of difficulties, but God can overcome those difficulties, we just have to let Him. We are to pursue him at such a pace that it seems that we hate the things of this world. That we let go, Cruicify ourselves, of the things that hold us back. Allow God to chisel away at our hearts and let those pieces fall and shatter on the ground.

John the Baptist said it best in John 3:30 "HE must increase, but I must decrease." What does this look like in your life? How can he increase? How can you increase? How can you apply this principle into your life? I know in my life I can let go of my desire to be in control, my temper, my selfishness, and sin. I can allow Christ to be my All, to be All in to him, to live Deuteronomy 6:5 and Jeremiah 29:13. I can truly be his hands and feet. Allow him to use my to accomplish the will that he has for my life. To let go of those things that I find security in, the things that I constantly run to when things get tough and instead, RUN TOWARDS GOD WITH ALL OF MY HEART. He must increase.... and I Must Decrease.

No comments:

Post a Comment